Intro

"Life begins at 40" they say. But I say why wait? Over the next 18 months I will be working towards reaching 10 goals. Join me on my journey before I reach that big (and scary) FOUR-OH

Saturday 9 July 2011

Genesis – Revelation

At the age of 13 I made a commitment to Christ as my Lord and Saviour, although at the time I didn’t fully understand all that it would mean, it has proved to be the best decision I ever made. As the Bible is the Word of God what better way to get to know Him than to read it! So over the years I have regularly and irregularly read my Bible but *hangs head in shame* I have never read through every single book of the Bible. I love reading the New Testament, Proverbs and Psalms, but Chronicles, Numbers? I write enough lists of my own without reading anyone else’s!!

But actually that attitude is rather skew-wiff. If I believe that the Bible is wholly inspired by God (which I do) then it stands to reason that Numbers, Chronicles, Ezekiel and the like are included for a reason and therefore I'm missing something quite important if I ignore them. There are many reading plans for reading through the Bible in a year but I decided just to start at the beginning a work through.

For those of you who have dismissed the idea of God just because some Christians or some Churches aren’t living or acting or loving the way Jesus instructs them to in the Bible I would challenge you to do your own research. Are you really going to make such a big decision based on someone else’s opinion? People don’t reject marriage just because 45% end in divorce.  

Anyhow, here’s what a few other people have said about the Bible:

Resolve to edge in a little reading every day, if it is but a single sentence. - Horace Mann
Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ. - St. Jerome
I believe that the existence of the Bible is the greatest benefit to the human race. Any attempt to belittle it, I believe, is a crime against humanity. - Immanuel Kant, German idealist philosopher, 1724-1804
A thorough understanding of the Bible is better than a college education. - Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States, 1858-1919
The New Testament is the very best book that ever was or ever will be known in the world. - Charles Dickens
Reading the Bible without meditating on it is like trying to eat without swallowing. – Anonymous


ps: I’m not a perfect Christian, I know that all too well, in fact there is no such thing! However, with God's help, I aim to improve, little by little, day be day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment