Intro

"Life begins at 40" they say. But I say why wait? Over the next 18 months I will be working towards reaching 10 goals. Join me on my journey before I reach that big (and scary) FOUR-OH

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Today is 7th June 2011. In exactly 18 months’ time (82 weeks or 580 days) I will hit that landmark 40th birthday. Many things come to mind when I think of this; the big 4 0, life begins at 40, over the hill etc etc.  This looming date has caused me to stop and take stock of my life so far and what I’ve achieved.

My life has taken a VERY different route than the one I had planned out in my 20’s: married, living in a rambling farmhouse in south-west Scotland with a bunch of kids (min 3) and a couple of fields for a hodge-podge of animals including goats and ponies. Yet here I am in central Germany, happily married, living in a small flat with no garden, no kids and just 1 cat. However, I am very happy as this is exactly where God wants me (us) to be right now.

Do you remember the film “The Bucket List”? 2 old geezers (played by Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson) both receive the news that they have terminal cancer with only months to live, so they set out on a whirlwind adventure to work through their “Bucket List”.

I guess we all have a bucket list but most of us put off fulfilling our dreams for another day. A couple of friends have just celebrate their 40th birthdays and it got me thinking. Life begins at 40 so they say but why wait til then? So I’ve put together a list (in no particular order) of 10 goals that I’d like to achieve over the course of the next 18 months.  Some are “just for fun” and purely personal, others are focused outwards for the benefit of others, and that’s where you come in. To achieve some of these goals I will need the help and support of my friends. Over the coming days I’ll write about each goal in more detail.

  1. Raise as much money as possible (ideally 40,000€) and give it all away.
  2. Lose 30kg
  3. Run a  5k (maybe even a 10k Race)
  4. Read 40 books
  5. Learn how to sail (somewhere in warm seas)
  6. Read through the whole Bible
  7. Make a significant (positive) difference in 40 people’s lives
  8. Spend one month @ the door of hope, children’s mission, South Africa http://www.doorofhope.co.za/
  9. Learn to play the piano
  10. Go paragliding  


Thanks for joining me on this journey.

Kathy

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, Good for you! What a great idea (being a blogger myself). Enjoy. I love writing and sharing my life with whoever wants to read about it!! You're doing it all in style!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Love it. At 63 I have seriously done or the Lord has
    done for me most of my bucket list but I keep reading about things
    I want to do so I add them on. Never finish your list. Keep
    adding on to it. If I finish my list HE might say Ok time to go and
    although that will be heavenly, I'm loving thisife a lot.
    Hope to see you sooner than later. Love you girl. Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a blog and great idea to get the support and maybe push along the way. I think it´s great to meet goals of course! I am with you on this and will be here cheering you along and helping in anyway I can. I love you dearly!
    Big hugs even if you are turning 40! jeje
    Dani Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement ladies!!

    and Dani- cheeky! You're not THAT far behind me.

    ReplyDelete