Intro

"Life begins at 40" they say. But I say why wait? Over the next 18 months I will be working towards reaching 10 goals. Join me on my journey before I reach that big (and scary) FOUR-OH

Sunday 19 June 2011

The man who does not read is no better than the man who can't. - Mark Twain

Thanks to my parents’ influence I grew up with a love of reading, wet Sunday afternoons (of which there are many in England) were spent either reading or playing Monopoly and even now part of my bedtime routine is reading. N°4 on my list is to read 40 books over the next 18 months. To some people it may seem a lot but as I’m already halfway through my second book, this will probably be the easiest goal to complete. For me reading is almost as essential as breathing and I like to alternate between reading fiction and non-fiction, one for one. In the same way as I am with music, I don’t get bound up by genre. So Austin and Dickens stand along-side Val McDermid, le Carré and Salman Rushdie on my fiction bookcase (there are even a couple of trashy romances by Rosamunde Pilcher) and my other bookcase is even more varied!


My list starts off with books I’m currently reading (or have read)
1.            Pathway to Purpose - Katie Brazelton
2.            Captivating – Stacy Eldredge
3.            The Mark of the Assassin – Daniel Silva

Part 2 are books I already own but haven’t read yet:
4.            The Grace Awakening – Charles Swindoll
5.            Hope Again – Charles Swindoll
6.            Simple Faith – Charles Swindoll
7.            Living your strengths – Winseman/Clifton/ Liesveld
8.            Love and War – John & Stasi Eldredge
9.            Twelve Extraodinary Women –John MacArthur
10.         O2 – Richard Dahlstrom
11.         My Donkey Body – Michael Wenham
12.         God’s Call – Brother Andrew
13.         Wilberforce, God’s Statesman – Biography by John Pollock
14.         Crazy Love – Francis Chan
15.         Having a Mary heart in a Martha World – Joanna Weaver

Part 3 of my list is books I want to read, some taken from other “books to read before you die” lists and are all on my Amazon wish list (hint hint).
16.         A House for Mr. Biswas - V.S. Naipaul
17.         A Long Walk to Freedom – Nelson Mandela
18.         Love in the Time of Cholera – Gabriel García Márquez
19.         I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings – Maya Angelou
20.         Bright Lights, Big City - Jay McInerney
21.         The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle - Tobias Smollett
22.         The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
23.         The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
24.         Running with Giants – John Maxwell

And that leaves 16 empty spaces, so I’m looking for your recommendations, plus, if you can loan me the book, even better J  

No comments:

Post a Comment